You know your addicted to blogging, tweeting or FBing when you’ve got the blade of a blender stuck in your finger and your thinking of how you will blog it later. That was exactly what I was thinking when my ambulance was stuck in traffic on the way to the ER, with the blade of a handheld blender firmly lodged in the first finger of my left hand. Sorry, no photos. I don’t have a 3G phone yet, otherwise I promise, I would have snapped at least one shot.
It all goes back to the mushy food issue. I was trying to blend rice and corn to mix with crumbled hamburger for Matan’s lunch. I love my handheld blender. It’s so convenient and easy to use. I have a food processor I’ve never used because taking it out, attaching the components, and later washing all of them, is usually too much of a chore for me. I don’t remember exactly how it happened, but while I was trying to get stuff out, my finger was inside where the blades sit, when it started whirring. Somehow I managed to turn the thing off but couldn’t pull my finger free easily.
What do you do when you’re stuck in your home alone with a baby and your finger just got chomped by a blender? I ran into our hallway, holding the blender with my right had while my left was attached to it, and yelled out for help. Luckily, a neighbor two floors down was home and heard me. He ran up, called the ambulance and then kept me calm by feeding Matan while we waited for ambulance and DH, who I somehow managed to call and who arrived along with the ambulance.
Mostly, I’m surprised I wasn’t in hysterics. But Matan thought it was all a game, so I pretended. I just knew I couldn’t look at my finger, otherwise I knew I’d lose control. The neighbor told me he was a medic, which also calmed me down. Medics in this country mostly got their training in the IDF, so it’s easy for them to keep calm when it’s only a finger in a blender.
Apparently, I’m very lucky. The blade came out without much work on the part of the ER orthopedist. Not even a broken finger, much to their surprise. The doc said it looked like the machine probably had a safety feature that meant it stopped spinning if it hit something hard, like bone. They cleaned me up, bandaged me, and sent me home, warning me to have it checked in 2 days for infection.
I blame the Ukrainian Dept. of Social Services for making the kids eat mush for so long! And yes, after I got home, I broke down, cleaned the blender that the ER staff had kindly put in a plastic bag for me, and ground up some yummy mush for Matan’s dinner.